The British High Commission in Abuja’s political section is responsible for political relations between the UK and Nigerian Governments.

They monitor the political situation in Nigeria and seek to strengthen the bilateral relationship.

The Consular Section at the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos, and our consular network throughout the country, provide assistance to British nationals visiting or living in Nigeria. All consular assistance enquiries should be directed to Lagos.

Black Line Break 660X5px
Urgent Assistance

If you are in Nigeria and you urgently need help (e.g. if you have been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +234 (1) 277 0780/0781/0782. If you are in the UK and concerned about a British national in Nigeria, call 020 7008 1500.


Get or renew a passport

The British Embassy cannot help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help, see:

If you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document, see:


Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, here:

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact the British Deputy High Commission Lagos as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and

  • are a British citizen and

  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact the British Deputy High Commission Lagos to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or

  • not a British citizen or

  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted them, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British High Commission Lagos, here:!/british-deputy-high-commission-lagos/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker


Get a visa

The British High Commission cannot help with visa enquiries.

If you are not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa, here:

If you are a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on their foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit, see:

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration:


Legalisation services

The British High Commission Abuja does not provide legalisation services. Ask the UK Government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine), here:


Local service providers

Use their lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Nigeria. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK Government.


How else the British High Commission can help

In addition to the services listed above, for British nationals needing emergency consular assistance, they can:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • help people with mental illness

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child protection and abductions, kidnappings or someone who is missing abroad and how to make a missing person’s report

  • provide consular assistance to British nationals who are victims of rape or serious sexual assault or any other serious crime

  • help in contacting your family or friends when you are not able to do yourself because you are ill, in hospital, have been arrested etc.

  • provide advice following the death of a British national outside of the UK, where possible we will try to notify the next of kin

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

  • offer support and information when a British national is detained or arrested outside the UK


Consular fees

The High Commission charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Nigeria here:

Contact Form